+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Krieger Barrels

Default Krieger Barrels

All:

I just thought I would pass along some recent experiences - we are all searching for great barrels, so I thought I would share.

Last winter I ordered Krieger replacement barrels for my Palma and 6.5x47 LR rifles, and while placing it decided to add orders for (2) Krieger RF blanks. I wanted to fit a new barrel to the Racer action I have, and a cut rifled barrel seemed best because of the substantial removal of material in the shank (the Racer shank is over 4" long, with several step downs in diameter @ .726" and .547"). These step down sections provide bearing for "O" rings at the chamber (before the shank threads begin) and after.

I had forgotten I ordered them (they took almost 20 weeks to arrive). I fitted one to my Anschutz 2000 action, and one to the Racer. I have been working the past several weeks to establish tuner / torque settings for both.

Some information on them as received - both are standard internally (.2220 x .2170), 16 twist, 6 groove. They are both very straight (something I look for when I initially start fitting them). Both machined exceptionally well - I am not aware of the processes Krieger uses to heat treat steel, but these cut cleanly and chambered very well - which I cannot say for some of the other barrel steel I have recently machined.

In short, both of these barrels have been exceptional. I look for good baseline accuracy before I start tuning, and both of these shot amazingly well. I set them up with a 2 degree leade chamber, at a depth dimension of .580" (engraving to the second band on Lapua ammunition).

There has been a lot of conversation comparing cut rifled barrels to buttoned - with the general consensus being cut barrels are not competitive (at least for BR use). I can tell you that these two barrels are as good (if not better) than anything buttoned I have tested in the last several years.

And before anyone asks - I have no arrangement / agreement with Krieger - I just thought you guys might be interested. I am just looking for great barrels......like everyone else here!

Thanks a lot, all the best,

kev

Default Cut

Kevin:

That is interesting. I believe Barnhart shot a Kreiger for a number of years and said it was very good, before he switched to Tamas old Hart.

In my head, I always think that a Button barrel should be smoother than a cut. For centerfire I don't think that would make all that much difference, although we all seem to say that Cut last longer than button in centerfire.

I thought smoothness would be more important for the lead bullet, but if things are lapped properly then there probably really is not reason any of them can't work.

I had a Schneider, and now have a Benchmark 2groove and a Shilen Ratchet. Barrels to me, you just have to get a little lucky. Anyone can make a great one, and anyone can have a bad one leave their shop too. I would like to add a Hart at some day and even a Lilja just to spread the love around....

Interesting about the Racer and all the step downs in the barrel, again just in my head I would think that could put a hinder on the upper potential of the barrel...

Default Barrel

Mdietrich,

The under cuts did not seem to affect the accuracy of Kevin's Racer two weeks ago. The .547 step down would be hard for me to cut into a barrel , thinking that it would open up the inside diameter a little.

Kevin,
    Good information to know about the Krieger barrels. Great shooting at the Bluegrass.

Howard

Default Kevin shooting machine

I heard Kevin shot awesome down at Louisville, he is a hammer down there annually!

...but he is popping Tums from a PEZ dispenser when he starts thinking about shooting the 6400 in Palmyra, Pa!

I can guarantee that he will at least beat me!

Ken

That is funny Ken, I got an instant visual and had to laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by 1813benny View Post
    ...but he is popping Tums from a PEZ dispenser when he starts thinking about shooting the 6400 in Palmyra, Pa!

I can guarantee that he will at least beat me!

Ken
    You Pennsylvania folks are a scary bunch Ken........I will be packing my snake bite medicine!

I always wanted to shoot the Mid Atlantic..........it will be a blast (even if you send me back to Ohio bruised and beaten).

See you soon,

kev

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nevius View Post
    You Pennsylvania folks are a scary bunch Ken........I will be packing my snake bite medicine!

I always wanted to shoot the Mid Atlantic..........it will be a blast (even if you send me back to Ohio bruised and beaten).

See you soon,

kev
    Kevin,

Could you please post a list of websites that show your match schedules.

I know there has to be a bunch of matches for position and prone shooters but I'm having a hard time to find the listings.

Thanks Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony K Harper View Post
    Kevin,

Could you please post a list of websites that show your match schedules.

I know there has to be a bunch of matches for position and prone shooters but I'm having a hard time to find the listings.

Thanks Tony
    Tony:

Most of the sectional / regional matches can be found in the USA Shooting publication (produced by the NRA). It can be found at:

http://www.nrapublications.org/index...ng-sports-usa/

The National Match schedule can be found on the NRA Competitions site

http://compete.nra.org/

The ISSF compiles the schedules for the Olympic / World Cup events

http://www.issf-sports.org/calendar/..._overview.ashx

Thanks for the reply - I am hoping you never take up position / prone shooting, all I need is ANOTHER person kicking my backside!! LOL

Great shooting at the PSL - very impressive (as always!)

kev

I believe Kreiger buys their steel to their heat treat requirements as the other top quality barrel makers. Now they use heat to stress relieve their barrels as do most of the top barrel makers.
    All of that said, Kreiger does make a World Class barrel.
    Last edited by papaw1; 06-02-2013 at 11:23 AM.